Remaking DeKrey.NET in Next.js

3/22/20223 min read

As previously mentioned, I don't like maintenance. Gatsby was working well for me, so why did I want to change? Wait, was it working well for me? The last blog post I made was in... oh, maybe it wasn't working well for me.

I definitely was weary of all the packages that needed to be kept up-to-date.

    "gatsby-image": "^2.4.9",
    "gatsby-plugin-manifest": "^2.4.14",
    "gatsby-plugin-offline": "^3.2.13",
    "gatsby-plugin-postcss": "^2.3.11",
    "gatsby-plugin-react-helmet": "^3.3.6",
    "gatsby-plugin-sharp": "^2.6.14",
    "gatsby-remark-images": "^3.3.18",
    "gatsby-remark-relative-images": "^0.3.0",
    "gatsby-remark-slug": "^0.1.0",
    "gatsby-remark-vscode": "^3.0.1",
    "gatsby-source-filesystem": "^2.3.14",
    "gatsby-transformer-remark": "^2.8.25",
    "gatsby-transformer-sharp": "^2.5.7",

Many of those felt like they didn't need to be gatsby-specific packages. For instance, react-helmet could do its thing in other projects, why did I also need gatsby-plugin-react-helmet? Surely a static site builder should be able to support the head... (Granted, I'm out of date for gatsby, so maybe there is a way now.)

Also, while the graphql interface was neat, it felt weird to pull from a headless CMS (for a different project at work) to put into the "node" structure and then load from there to make the site. Why have the extra step in between?

I was getting tired of Gatsby, and I wasn't keeping my site up to date as a result.


With work at Principle Studios, some of our team including Josh Roth and Drew Stromberg persuaded me that Next.js should be something we look into for an upcoming project. Knowing a little bit about it (supporting static export), it was already on my list, and I was excited to try it out. While we made a proof of concept, it was a greenfield project, so it doesn't quite scratch my itch of doing an apples-to-apples comparison. I decided I'd rewrite my own site.


Since it follows so much of Gatsby's architecture, I decided to do a minimal conversion.

DeKrey.NET architecture with Next.js

Markdown via MDX, React, and tailwindcss assembled by Next.js in a Docker container publishing static HTML, CSS, and JS in a production Docker container, hosted on Azure Kubernetes Service (AKS) and calling out to an Azure Functions application for the Contact form.

The changes I made:

  1. Convert all the packages from Gatsby to either Next.js or vanilla JavaScript equivalents.
  2. Upgrade from markdown to MDX for custom components so I can style the figure captions. Includes building a markdown pipeline.
    • Main processing was via mdx-bundler
    • This needed a "read time" and "excerpt" pipeline, which I couldn't figure out how to configure with mdx-bundler... I built it myself.
    • I also added rehype-highlight for code snippets.
  3. Extract the favicon, etc. that was being generated by Gatsby and switch from react-helmet to the Next.js Head element
  4. Remove all of Gatsby's graphql and replace with a simpler getStaticProps function.

And that was pretty much it. My next.config.js pretty much looks like this:

module.exports = {
    // Append the default value with md extensions
    pageExtensions: ['ts', 'tsx', 'js', 'jsx', 'md', 'mdx'],
    // Force the export to add /index.html for each page
    trailingSlash: true,
}

There's a bit more to it since I included mdx there, too, but since I'm not using it (yet), I left it out from this example.

I still need to set up eslint with the new build, but that can wait for later.

Final change count: +9,518 −21,113. I think that's pretty great!

Thanks again to Josh and Drew for pushing me to a new technology!